[Packaging error] c3270/tcl3270/s3270/pr3287/x3270

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Thu Feb 25 15:48:00 GMT 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Feb 24 21:31, Peter A. Castro wrote:

>>> Yikes!  Hmm...how strange.  Ok, I'll fix that.  Thanks for the catch!
>>
>> Ok, I've been investigating just how/why this happened and it seems
>> there's been a change in how some of the automagic executable suffix
>> munging is being done in Cygwin 1.7 versus 1.5.
>>
>> The makefile has this bit of script in it:
>>
>>   /usr/bin/install -c c3270 $DESTDIR/$BINDIR/c3270
>>
>> Under Cygwin 1.5, this creates "c3270.exe".
>> Under Cygwin 1.7, this created "c3270"  (no .exe).
>>
>> There's been no change in the makefile scripts between releases of these
>> packages, so this is apparently a change in behaviour in either
>> /usr/bin/install or Cygwin's magical filename resolver internals.
>>
>> Yes, I've already dug through the email archives and this has been
>> discussed before with really no good resolution.
>
> Add $(EXEXT) handling to configure and makefiles?

As I've said in other email, I'll feed back to the owner of the project
with some suggestions, but this really just underscores how un-unix-like
this environment is.  For the moment I have a convenient workaround.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>