setup.exe for Cygwin 1.5 doesn't recognise mirror's .ini file

Rance Hall ranceh@gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 01:50:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM, David Antliff <david.antliff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an existing Cygwin-1.5 environment that I use to support my
> development team. I am setting up a virtual machine with Cygwin 1.5 so
> that I can test the upgrade to Cygwin 1.7.
>
> The installation process for my Cygwin 1.5 environment involves
> installing from a previously downloaded and archived "local directory"
> for the most part, but there's one final step where a few final
> packages (like apache2) are downloaded from an Internet mirror.
> However, the setup.exe that I currently have for 1.5 now fails to
> parse the current .ini file it downloads from any mirror - it suggests
> using a newer version of setup.exe. But I cannot find a version of
> setup.exe for Cygwin 1.5, only for the newer Cygwin 1.7, and this one
> will force me to upgrade I believe (unless there's a commandline
> switch I don't know about).

<snip>

> All help thankfully appreciated,
>
> -- David.

There is no commandline switch to do what you want.  But there is an
online verion of the legacy version of 1.5 setup.exe that you could
use to create a 1.5 environment.

I think its called setup-legacy.exe but don't quote me.

Be sure to read the upgrade instructions as there are some specific
things that changed.

Woudnt it be easier to setup the virtual machine to run 1.7 and then
test all your current stuff to see if it works, tweak it till it does,
and skip the upgrade process all together?  Just a thought.