Appropriate expectation on the degree of cygwin and MS interoperability

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Fri Jan 1 15:38:00 GMT 2010

Neil.Mowbray@calgacus.com wrote:

> For the most part the cygwin tools interoperate with MS artifacts but
> it does break down, especially, with 64bit artifacts.  For example, nm
> can work with 32bit object files created by MS cl.exe but it cannot
> work with 64bit MS object files (unrecognised file format).
>
> The question is: how far should I expect the interoperability to go?
> For example, is the fact that nm cannot handle 64bit MS object files
> a (1) defeat in cygwin/nm or (2) I should be grateful that it works
> with 32bit files and otherwise lower my expectation?

cygwin binutils doesn't set or understand /machine tags, which are
required for 64-bit targets.
The mingw32-64 project is a partial solution.
I, too, would be grateful for a satisfactory solution which persuades
cygwin make to use a 64-bit alternative to ar when needed.