rsync 1.7.1 stuck

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam@rosi-kessel.org
Sun Jan 3 03:36:00 GMT 2010

Another rsync problem since the 1.7.1 upgrade (from 1.5) -- an rsync job
just gets stuck a few bytes into a file. ctrl-c doesn't work, but I can
kill it with pskill. If I keep running the rsync it gets a little
further each time.

Here's the stranger part: if I jump a few directories in, it seems to
work. For example, if I have directory /home/a/b/c/d/e/file.ext and I
attempt to rsync /home/a, it gets stuck. If, instead, I rsync
/home/a/b/c/d/e (to the appropriate target directory), it works fine on
the same file it was getting stuck on.

Also strange is that it doesn't happen on all files, but it does
consistently happen on the same file. Every time I restart the rsync
job, same file get stuck. If I use the trick above (or scp instead), it
then gets by the "stuck" file and works fine.

CPU usage seems high during the "stuck" time -- ssh.exe and rsync.exe
being the top two processes.

I've tried running rsync at maximum verbosity, and all I see is it gets
up to a point of comparing the files and then no further output.

Any troubleshooting suggestions? Not sure if this is related to the sshd
rsync fork problem discussed recently on this list.