The need for cygwin

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Jan 8 02:33:00 GMT 2010

On 01/07/2010 04:56 PM, brian wrote:
> For me, Cygwin provides a nice easy linux emulation complimenting  my
> large set of laptop windows applications, which for me  is the point.
> For Linux, I log into a massive linux server where my production
> systems reside and get unlimited storage and free maintanance.  I
> haven't even explored it, but if cygwin could  provide also provide a
> seamless  connection to my linux server like a mounted file system,
> that would be ideal.
Cygwin has an NFS package so I guess you can mount filesystems from
Linux systems or you can run Samba on the Linux system and just mount
that the Windows way.
> Maybe it does already with ssl?
No I don't know of an SSL solution to mounting filesystems but you sure
can ssh to your Linux systems, for example. You can also install
Cygwin/X and run X apps from the Linux system to your Windows desktop.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?