Java alternatives (was Re: Updated: stable compiler package gcc4-4.3.4-3)

Mon Jan 11 08:23:00 GMT 2010

On 10/01/2010 21:37, Dave Korn wrote:
>    BTW I'm going to ship AWT with the next GCJ, if that's of any interest to
> anyone.  It builds and appears to be passing the mauve testsuite, so that's
> probably worth chucking over the wall and letting people start playing with.

Good idea, but a heads-up; with Classpath, I found that a patch was
necessary to fix Awt fonts, and Swing which uses them extensively:

http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/java/classpath/0.98-awt.patch

 > I've got no objection to splitting up the single big monolithic set of
 > alternatives that I currently group under master "gcj" into a bunch of
 > subpackages if that's what you're saying?

Yes, the reason being that other packages which provide JDK-compatible
commands don't provide *all* of them; e.g. gcj is not command-line
compatible with 'javac', fastjar is just 'jar', classpath doesn't
provide a 'java' but jamvm/cacao do; jdk6-langtools provides only
compilers, etc.

BTW, gjavah and the other tools are going to work in the next release,
right?

 > If you'd like to rewrite the current postinstall/preremove scripts to
> do what you want, that might be the most explicit way to show me what you mean
> and I'll happily PTC them (by which I mean sure, anything sane I'll throw in
> and use it!)

Attached.

>    Argh, and thank you for pointing that out.  It appears that I lost all the x
> perms on all the scripts in my last build, probably caused by my using win32
> editors (followed by d2u) when adjusting them.  I've spotted that and fixed it
> manually a few times but I'd better script it to avoid future accidents; it'd
> be an easy thing to add to the cygport.

Append their basenames to SRC_URI and dobin in src_install.

Yaakov