Redirecting $TEMP or a certain directory to /tmp

Lee Rothstein lee@veritech.com
Tue Jan 12 12:19:00 GMT 2010

Thorsten Kampe wrote:

 > Thomas Wiedmann (Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:24:57 +0100) wrote

 >> how can in Cygwin the directory, which is in Windows configured as
$TEMP, or
 >> a certain other directory, be redirected to /tmp?

 > man mount

My approach is different, I solve the problem on the Windows side for all
apps, Cygwin, or Windows.

My system is Visa 64b; others use a slightly different "menu"
sequence, but:

  Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings ->
    Environment Variables -> System Variables ->
    TEMP == %TMPDIR%
  and  ...                                    ->
    TMPDIR ==  c:\_0\tmp
and (because some pseudo *nix apps for Windows use $TMP, instead of $TMPDIR:
    TMP == %TMPDIR%

(since Cygwin root on my system is at 'c:\_0')

My approach means that both Windows and Cygwin apps use the same
directory for temporary files. This means I only have to "clean up"
or search in one temporary directory.

I also use the attached script, 'tmpdir', when I'm using the temporary
directory with unknown *NIX configs.

It has it's own help (-h|--help).

As always, YMMV.