Fwd: cygwin 1.7.1 cygrunsrv-sshd - unable to login

Fri Jan 15 19:42:00 GMT 2010

On 01/15/2010 02:18 PM, LogicDaemon wrote:
>   Hi all.
>
> I am trying to set up ssh server as service in standalone Windows 2003.
> Sorry if this already was questioned but I did not find anything related in
> near maillist archive.
>
> After ssh-host-config I'm getting sshd service, which does not accept
> any  logins (log "-d -d" attached, found nothing helpful there). However if I run
> /usr/sbin/sshd from cygwin shell, it starts and I am able to login with both
> certificate and keyboard-interactive methods. If I change ssh service login
> user to my login then I am able to login also. What may be wrong?
>
> problem 2: first trials to set up service leaded to starting two
> cygrunsrv  processes (parent and child) and one sshd. But now I am getting one
> cygrunsrv process and one sshd, and parent of sshd is not running. To stop
> process, I have to manually kill sshd. I already removed and reinstalled
> service and config file, but behavior persists.

Forwarding multiple copies of the same message to this list will not gain you
any friends on this list.

I suggest you look at the email archives for issues with 'sshd' installations.
Most of them result from bad configuration, as is the case with yours (*never*
run 'sshd' directly from the command line as a user other than the one that
runs it as a service).

I also recommend two other things:

   1. Read the Users Guide for information about switching users.  I highly
      recommend you implement the LSA package option.
      <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview>
   2. To quickly recover from the hole you're in, wipe your Cygwin installation
      and start over, using the configuration scripts (ssh-host-config,
ssh-user-config)
      at your disposal and your new found knowledge from the Users Guide, email
      archives, and even the README.

Holliston, MA 01746