Problems starting sshd as a service on cygwin 1.7.1

Fri Jan 22 05:14:00 GMT 2010

On 01/21/2010 11:15 PM, Myron Flickner wrote:
> On one of my upgraded 1.7.1 system sshd quit running as a service and would not restart.  I tried a few things
> but never could make it work so I decided to reinstall.
>
> I uninstalled cygwin per the FAQ and a posting on removing sshd
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all
> http://chinese-watercolor.com/LRP/printsrv/remove-cygwin.html

:-(  We typically frown on using external sources of Cygwin information and
then
asking here about problems that could be caused by using information from these
sites.  In this case, I don't see anything misleading at the site you
reference but
obviously we can't say that for all time or in general.

> I reinstalled cygwin choosing defaults options.   Then I added openssh to this install.
> Ran ssh-host-config  answered all the questions yes and set CYGWIN to "tty ntsec".

These aren't necessary, though they aren't harming anything.

> After this "cygrunsrv -S  sshd" fails. most of the time - although I've seen it work a few times.
> An example session is below.
>
> Any suggestions on a work around or how to trace this ?

Have you looked at the logs?  Clearly the setup is OK if it starts sometimes.
Something is getting in the way.  The logs might give you a clue.  Or it could
be <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>.

If you need to follow-up with this list on this issue, please provide the
cygcheck
output as requested by <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

Holliston, MA 01746