How do I ask setup-legacy for a particular old version?

Mike McCool mlm@aechelon.com
Mon Jan 25 21:58:00 GMT 2010

Hello -

I'm following up on Dave Morgan's question about performance on
x64 systems.  I have a Windows XP 64 system with both 1.7 and
1.5-12-1 installed, and the machine will perform slow and fast
at the same time depending on which version I'm running:

 > $ find . -name \* -print|wc -l
 > 509
 >
 > $ find . -name \*.cxx -print|wc -l
 > 22
 >
 > cygwin-1.7:$ time find . -name \*.cxx -print > /dev/null
 >
 > real    0m0.201s
 > user    0m0.015s
 > sys     0m0.015s
 >
 > cygwin-1.5-12:$ time find . -name \*.cxx -print > /dev/null
 >
 > real    0m0.060s
 > user    0m0.000s
 > sys     0m0.062s

What I'm trying to narrow down is exactly which version of the
distribution introduced the slowdown so I can narrow down what
the bug report might be.  However, setup-legacy won't let me
install a cygwin version older than 1.7.0-68, unless I'm
misunderstanding how setup works.  We have reason to believe
the slowdown was introduced sometime between 1.5-12 and 1.5-24.
I'm trying to use the distribution at:

ftp://ftp.cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/

Can you help me track down this issue, or are there other
suggestions?  The fact that I can run fast and slow on the same
box implies to me that this is not a machine configuration or
BLODA issue, though I've been over everything in the FAQ.

Thanks!
     --MLM