Bug: cygport fails when the working directory pathname contains spaces

Wed Jan 27 08:41:00 GMT 2010

On 26/01/2010 23:38, Steven Monai wrote:
> Imagine if a program like 'cp' failed because the current working
> directory has a pathname that contains spaces. You'd probably agree with
> me that 'cp' had a rather serious flaw, wouldn't you?

cygport is not 'cp'.  cygport is a shell script, as are configure
scripts, the autoconf-generated kind being the most common build system
out there.  Shell scripts usually use spaces for IFS.  Hence
distinguishing between a space in a file name/path and whitespace
between arguments is fraught with difficulties.

> I stand by my original report. This is a bug. Not a serious show-stopper
> by any stretch, but a bug, nonetheless.
 >
> When I find the time and motivation, I may try my hand at fixing it
> myself. I'll report back with patches if I do.

As the author of cygport, I'll advise you that your time will be much
better spent getting used to not using spaces in file and directory
names rather than pretending to "fix" a case that will never be
guaranteed to work.

Yaakov