GCC on 64-bit windows

Daniel Jensen jensend@iname.com
Thu Jul 1 14:02:00 GMT 2010

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and I installed Cygwin 1.7 hoping to use
the build toolchain from SciTE and Eclipse. My cygwin installation
works, and I can run gcc just fine from a cygwin shell. Eclipse works
just fine (though the debugger interface sends complaints to console
about missing dlls etc at program start, it doesn't seem to cause
trouble). However, trying to launch gcc from Windows (cmd.exe, the run
dialog, etc) or from SciTE (as the build command) gives one or the other
of the following two error messages:

This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're
running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you
need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then
contact the software publisher.

Unsupported 16-bit Application
The program or feature "\??\c:\cygwin\bin\g++.exe" cannot start or run
due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact
the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is
available.

I've tested most all of the binaries in c:\cygwin\bin and outside of the
gcc ones all of them, including the rest of the build toolchain, seem to
be launchable from windows. Anyone know why gcc would be different?