git and openssh issue

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman@kitware.com
Thu Jul 22 19:49:00 GMT 2010

On 7/22/2010 11:25 AM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:

>> Are there any other experiments you would like to see?   Seems to happen
>> with any reasonable size git repo.  So, if you were to say clone VTK or
>> Qt, I am sure you could reproduce this as well.
>
> I'm game to try this out.  Can you send me the exact git command you use
> to clone one or more of these repositories so that I can try to
> reproduce what you see?
>
> -Jeremy

We have reproduced this with the CMake git repo.  You can find out how
to get a clone of that here:

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git

So to clone CMake do this:
  git clone git://cmake.org/cmake.git CMake

Once you clone CMake to a machine, you can then clone from that machine
like this:

Commands for ssh clone:

$ git clone user@machine:path/to/repo.git

Commands for rsh clone:

$ echo '#!/bin/sh
exec rsh -l user "$@"' > ~/ssh-rsh
$ chmod 750 ~/ssh-rsh
$ GIT_SSH=~/ssh-rsh git clone machine:path/to/repo.git

Commands for plink clone:

  http://my.afterdawn.com/agent_007/blog_entry.cfm/2909/git_and_cygwin

One thing that might be a good thing to try is to bisect the openssh
source.  That might eliminate the cygwin dll as the source of the
problem.  Or at least find out which change in openssh caused the problem.

-Bill