Cygwin window closes by itself -- And, a strange workaround

Fri Jun 4 04:16:00 GMT 2010

On 6/3/2010 8:34 PM, surendar jeyadev wrote:

> I have been using Cygwin for about 5 years on the same computer, without
> a problem (but for a strange change in bash history behaviour about a few
> months back -- more on that later, or in a separate thread). Suddenly,
> today, something strange has started to happen. When I double click on
> the Cygwin icon, a window opens (as usual), but it remains blank for about
> 10 seconds, after which is closes.
>
> I have searched the archives and found a similar incident reported in Sep
> 2007, but no particular remedy was given. Also, I have found a very
> strange workaround.
>
> I am running
>
>    CYGWIN_NT-5.1 visuma 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-05-26 20:37 i686 Cygwin

1.5.25 is no longer supported.  The current version is 1.7.5.

> on a XP machine with SP3. The output of 'cygcheck -s -v -r' is
> attached to this note.
>
> I tried to invoke cygwin.bat from a command window as suggested in
> the 2007 replies to the query. The batch file runs and the prompt
> changes to the cygwin bin directory. There are no error messages.
>
>          C:\cygwin>cygwin.bat
>
>          C:\cygwin\bin>
>
> This is as expected as the contents of the batch file are just
>
>           @echo off
>
>           C:
>           chdir C:\cygwin\bin
>
>           bash --login -i
>
> But, there is no window opened when I invoke cygwin.bat from the
> command line (hint?).

Nope.  That's as expected.  What didn't happen is 'bash' didn't start.
I don't know why either, though if there's nothing new in your Cygwin
environment, then I might suspect ZoneAlarm.  Try removing it and see
if it helps.

Holliston, MA 01746