Cygwin Performance and stat()

Fri Jun 4 18:49:00 GMT 2010

>> "But providing a variant of stat() along the lines of what you propose
>> above is not practical for all the reasons already stated."
> This is not something that I said.  That was actually Larry Hall.

Heh.  Who needs him anyway!

Just to clarify, this comment was in response to Chris Wingerts' assertion
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-06/msg00033.html>) that it would be
worthwhile to provide some kind of switch to selectively disable the
expensive parts of stat().  And my point was that this had already been
discounted as a transparent way of addressing the performance problem
because it would still be up to the user or application to determine when
to make this trade-off (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-05/msg00751.html>).
This is the same conclusion Chris Wingert has now come to as well and stated