Need advice regarding cron---unable to start cron

Pierre A. Humblet Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org
Sat Jun 12 17:26:00 GMT 2010

At 07:50 AM 6/12/2010, Ravindra Divi wrote:
>Hi,
>  I installed cygwin on windows server 2003 and am trying to learn
> about cron.
>  I created a simple script as follows:
>  #!/usr/bin/bash
>  #move the file every 1 min
>  echo 'date'>>  datelog.txt
>  mv datelog.txt outbound
>
>  I then created a crontab using the command crontab -e as follows:
>
><snip>

>  but nothing is happening. I was able to successfully run the script
>  manually. But when trying to accomplish it through cron, nothing
> happens. I checked the services in start -->administrative
> tools-->services and I see cron Daemon running. I dont see anything
> in logs either.Please advise.

Did you use cron-config to start cron?

I see the cron daemon is running under the Local System account,
which on server 2003
is only possible in some cases. This is explained in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron-X.README,
in cron-config and in the Cygwin doc (about setuid).
The doc also recommends running cronbug and sending the output as an
attachment.

Pierre