AW: ls -l does not work correkt

cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com
Wed Jun 16 13:44:00 GMT 2010

Corinna Vinschen - corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:
> On Jun 16 10:11, cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm migrating from an old pc to an new with windows 7 I
> installed the new cygwin 1.7 an have the following problem.
>>
>> When I run ls -l from an Icon with the following command
>>
>> C:\pmI\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c  "ls -l
> ~/bin/links/PCBN3204/filem*;read"
>>
>> I get the following result
>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 F.Braunbeck Domänen-Benutzer   3 Jun 15 12:32
> /cygdrive/e/home/bin/links/PCBN3204/filemon -> ??/
>> [...]
>> When I run ls -l ~/bin/links/PCBN3204/f* from a existing Shell I get
>> the following result
>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 F.Braunbeck Dom▒nen-Benutzer  53 Jun 15 12:32
>> /cygdrive/e/home/bin/links/PCBN3204/filemon ->
>> /cygdrive/c/pm/util/sysinternals/_filemon/Filemon.exe
Thank you for your fast reply.

Another info about my installation. I'm must install all software with a lokal Admin user and I'm working myself with a domain user. I'm not sure if this could cause problems.

> Weird.  I can't reproduce this behaviour.  What kind of symlink is
> that? A Windows shortcut file, a SYSTEM type symlink, or a native
> NTFS symlink?
I created the link with ln -s.

>> Here I got the place where the link is pointing to. But here the
>> umlaut are false.
>
> The umlaut problem could be a problem of your terminal.  Are
> you using rxvt?  How are your locale settings, $LANG,
> $LC_CTYPE, etc?  There's also the chance that your
> passwd/group files are using another codeset than your locale
> settings.
I'm running the normal cygwin bash shell from the menu. The LANG variable ist set to de on that
C:\pmI\cygwin1.7\Cygwin.bat

When I start for the Icon The LANG variable ist not set.

I hope the following infos help you to analyse the problem. If not please tell me what I can do to support you.

$ file /etc/group /etc/passwd
/etc/group:  ISO-8859 text
/etc/passwd: ISO-8859 text

$ locale