Cygwin's svn appends unwanted .exe to file name on checkout

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Mon Mar 1 17:45:00 GMT 2010

On 3/1/2010 5:43 AM, Alan Burn wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Fri 26/02/2010 22:45 Dave wrote:
>> As a last gasp effort, please try the attached (modified)
>> reproduce.sh script. It uses an empty user Subversion
>> configuration directory, just to rule that out. Please also
>> move /etc/subversion out of the way before running it. There
>> are commands to do that at the top and bottom of the script,
>> but they're commented out.
>
> Done. The problem is reproduced again as shown in the command
> line output below.

So I think I've made a little progress here. I still don't have a
solution, but I can now reproduce the problem.

The problem is triggered by default group ACLs on the working copy
directory. When I run as a local administrator, a
"default:group:Administrators:rwx" ACL will cause the ".exe" extension
to be appended, while "d:g:Administrators:---" will avoid the problem. I
see similar results for a non-admin user and the "Users" group.

I was running the script in a directory under /tmp, which doesn't have
these default ACLs.

$ getfacl /tmp
# file: /tmp
# owner: drothe
# group: None
user::rwx
group::rwx
mask:rwx
other:rwx
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:other:rwx

But, if I run the script in a new directory which has the default ACLs,
the problem appears.
$ mkdir /cygdrive/c/svn-tst
$ getfacl /cygdrive/c/svn-tst
# file: /c/svn-tst
# owner: drothe
# group: None
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
group:Users:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Administrators:rwx     <<---- triggers problem
default:group:Users:rwx
default:mask:rwx
default:other:r-x

I've attached another reproduction script that sets the default ACL for
each group to 0 on the working copy before doing the final checkout.
This avoids the problem for me. Please let me know what you find.

QOTD:
          "I haven't come far enough, and don't call me baby."