How to properly set up /etc/passwd and /etc/group

Pavel Kudrna Pavel.Kudrna@mff.cuni.cz
Mon Mar 1 18:47:00 GMT 2010

Wes Barris wrote:
> On 03/01/2010 12:05 AM, Wes Barris wrote:
>
>     I have installed cygwin on many systems.
> a long listing of my home directory shows a bunch of '?' question marks
> as the owner and group fields like this:
>
>     drwxrwxrwt+ 1 ???????? ???????? 0 2010-01-10 17:13 Projects
If you used Sysprep utility to clone to many PCs the problem is missing
right for System account in / and below, see
<http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-01/msg00485.html>
I have solved the problem by adding rights with the command
cacls "C:\Program Files\cygwin" /T /E /G SYSTEM:F
before running sysprep. After that minisetup (running under System
account) can correct old SID in ACLs also in cygwin directories and
question marks disappear.
With greetings
Pavel Kudrna