Shared home dir, samba, and workgroups

Wes Barris wes.barris@csiro.au
Wed Mar 10 04:21:00 GMT 2010

>>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
>>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
>> I've read both of those pages many times.  They don't
>> appear
>> to apply to my situation.  What mkpasswd option(s)
>> would you
>> suggest?  --local doesn't help map the Windows SID to
>> the UNIX
>> username, --domain doesn't do it.
>
> Web,
> if mkpasswd can not help you to identify the SID, than
> you can try Setacl
> http://setacl.sourceforge.net/
>
> using as:
> $ SetACL.exe -on $(cygpath -aw YOUR_FILE) -ot file -actn list -lst "f:sddl;w:o,g,s,d"
>
> will provide the full list of SID and ACL of the file
> or directory. The answer is a bit cryptic but it is very detailed.
>
> After that you can create,by hand, the right reference in
> your
> /etc/passwd and /etc/group

Thanks Marco.  I was a bit skeptical having already worked so hard
on resolving this.  Using setacl.exe I was able to determine both
the owner and group SIDs:

W:\>SetACL.exe -on wesbarris.pdf -ot file -actn list -lst "f:tab;w:o"
wesbarris.pdf

    Owner: S-1-5-21-290311034-2557831423-1240041065-5424

    DACL(protected):
    S-1-5-21-290311034-2557831423-1240041065-5424   full   allow   no_inheritance

    S-1-22-2-200   read   allow   no_inheritance
    Everyone   read   allow   no_inheritance

Using this information I modified my /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.
The passwd file now contains a line for my domain user and a line
for the owner of the files from my home directory server.  It's a
bit confusing (having a different user owning my home directory
files) but everything appears to be working properly now.

Thank you very much!

--
Wes Barris