redirect-append (>>) creates garbage-y file

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Mar 10 10:34:00 GMT 2010

On 09.03.2010 20:41, William Lebow wrote:
> I've diagnosed this problem further. It is an interaction between cygwin and a security package called "Credant Guardian Shield" that my company installs on all of its laptops. I can't say specifically that it is a cygwin bug, but this bad behavior is not present in earlier versions.
>
> As described below, the problem is a command like "echo foo>>  foo.txt" creates a file that starts with a bunch of garbage, and ends with the expected text.

It would be interesting to check whether it only occurs if you append to
a file from the command line or also if an application opens a file in
append mode,
in which case the issue would be much more critical I think.
In any case, I would also submit a bug report to that security package.
------
Thomas