redirect-append (>>) creates garbage-y file

Bill Lebow blebow@alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 12 13:19:00 GMT 2010

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

 > On Mar 11 13:12, William Lebow wrote:
 > > echo foo | tee -a test3.txt : terminal output is okay but test3.text
 > > starts with 3 characters of garbage before the string foo
 > >
 > > echo foo | tee test4.txt : terminal output is okay and test4.txt is
okay too

 > > So "tee -a" has the same issue as ">>" when creating a new file.
 > >
 > > BTW, I believe that the garbage characters that precede the text is
an encrypted
 > > version of the text in the file. This Credant software is
protecting my txt files
 > > by encrypting them.

 > And it's doing something blatantly wrong. Quite obviously, Cygwin
 > only writes the data once. If it's in the file twice, once encrypted
 > and once unencrypted, then this Credant software does not understand
 > native NT writing with append mode(*). You should report this as a bug.
 >
 > Corinna

Corinna, I can't argue with anything you say, and I have reported it to
the other
vendor. That said, this wasn't a problem with earlier versions of cygwin
so I thought
maybe there is something that can be done on the cygwin side.

Thanks

 -- Bill