Problems installing Text-Iconv-1.7 (perl module)

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Mon Mar 15 10:01:00 GMT 2010

2010/3/9 Marc Girod:
> Reini Urban wrote:
>> you need gcc-4
>
> Thanks, to both of you (Corina and Reini).
> Do I understand right that perl was built with gcc 4 and -fstack-protect?

Yes.
You see the error because our gcc-3 didn't support -fstack-protect, only gcc4.
Using gcc-3 itself would be no problem but -fstack-protect is.

I just saw that the latest minor update didn't say that.
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2010-03/msg00001.html
I only wrote that in the first major update at
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2009-12/msg00007.html

README
5.10.1-1
  - first cygwin-1.7 release, with gcc-4. Binary incompatible to any
    cygwin-1.5 perl-5.10.0 release.

> So, shouldn't gcc 4 be the default?

Yes. But that's up to Dave.

I could add gcc4 to the perl requires line, but it looked overkill to me
as it's only a build and XS devel requirement, not runtime.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/           http://murbreak.at/