modification time of standard input is wrong

Denis Excoffier Denis.Excoffier@free.fr
Wed Mar 17 18:19:00 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:56:12PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

 >> What impact?  I don't think there is any standard which requires a
non
 >> filesystem based stream to have a current timestamp and a tool
relying
 >> on that might be broken.  All our streams which are not backed by a
 >> filesystem w/ valid timestamps have an artificial timestamp of
 >> 2006-12-01 00:00:00.
The file `algorithm.doc' within the gzip distribution states that
"If input does not come from a regular disk file, the file
modification time is set to the time at which compression started.".

This has been reported to the `bug-gzip' mailing list (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gzip/2010-03/msg00000.html).
In his answer, Eric Blake suggested that the bug might be in
cygwin1.dll.

Regards.

Denis Excoffier.