Intermittent perl errors with cygwin 1.7

Thu Mar 18 17:47:00 GMT 2010

On 3/18/2010 11:51 AM, Cygwin wrote:
> "Cygwin" <> wrote in message
>> About once a month I get something like this:
>>
>> 4 [main] perl 3156 D:\Local\Cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error -
>> cygheap
>> base mismatch detected - 0x6120C6E0/0xD4C6E0.
>>
>> This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin
>> DLL. Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
>> and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version
>> *should* reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you
>> have
>> installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you are
>> unable to find another cygwin DLL.
>>
>> There is not another cygwin DLL on my system, and rebooting does in
>> fact fix
>> it, but that is of course not a solution...
> Has no one else seen anything like this?

No, not without another, incompatible version of cygwin1.dll loaded on
your system.  If reboot resolves it but not for good, make sure your
search for other cygwin1.dlls doesn't skip over hidden files, system
files, and other things Windows believes it's helping you with by
masking them by default.  Otherwise, it may be some kind of heretofore
unheard of BLODA <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA> or perhaps even a
virus or something.  But now I'm reaching. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746