Rsync w/o socketpair does NOT fix hang

Marco Moreno mmoreno@pobox.com
Fri Mar 19 22:13:00 GMT 2010

I too am experiencing rsync 3.0.7-1 hanging with ssh on 1.7.1-1.

I tried building rsync without socketpair as others suggested, but it did not make a difference.  (I presume I built it correctly since --version reports "no socketpairs".)  It appears to hang only on large files and consistently failing on the same ones.  Thousands of smaller files sync just fine.  Using --progress shows that it usually hangs at about the same percent (i.e. 3% complete).  Once it hangs, it consumes my cpu.  It then ignores interrupts (^C), requiring a kill -9.  I also installed the sans-socketpair build on the remote to no avail.

I'm running windows server 2008 on the client and 2003 on the remote (both 32 bit).

I'm not a C developer and the extent of my abilities is little more than configure/make, but I'm willing to help diagnose this problem since others are having trouble reproducing it.  What can I try?

Marco