text cursor is not being positioned

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 07:26:00 GMT 2010

John Lewis wrote:
> My text cursor is not being positioned correctly. This is a fresh
> install of 1.7.1-1 onto Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack
> 2.
>
> In the bash shell the backspace key doesn't back up and overwrite the
> last character, same with ctrl-U, the line remains on the screen, with
> the cursor at the end.
>
> The key strokes are being recognised, the characters have been removed
> from the input buffer correctly.
> I have the same issue with other tools, less and vi are unable to paint
> the screen correctly, and the up arrow at the command line just appends
> the history to the end of the current line.

Well, for some reason control sequences are being ignored, but I've
got no idea why that might be. So here's a bunch of questions:

How do you invoke bash? Are you sure you're running the Cygwin
versions of bash, vi and less? Have you got any stty commands or
printing of escape sequences in your bash startup files? Have you
customised the prompt (i.e. the PS1 variable)?

Also, cygcheck output might give a clue; please see

> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Andy