recvfrom + MSG_PEEK = broken?

Tue Mar 23 09:06:00 GMT 2010

On Mar 22 14:33, Warren Young wrote:
> >The last time I had problems with MSG_PEEK was back in 2006.  Curious
> >how seldomly it's used, apparently.
>
> Peeking is evil:
>
> 	http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/newbie.html#peeking
>
> [...]
>  The other
> problems the FAQ item references may be Windows-specific, but they stem
> from perfectly reasonable stack design decisions

And then there's that:

 "Most network programs running today on Linux, Unix, and OS X still use
  nothing but the plain old BSD Sockets API.  Viewed that way, even
  Winsock 1.1 looks modern, new, and powerful."

I would have laughed, if it wouldn't be so sad.  Last time I had to do
with Winsock (yesterday, I think) it was still an ugly, UGLY mess
compared to the BSD socket API.

Corinna

Red Hat