/cygdrive permissions problem [failing duplicity backup]

Jan-Aage Frydenbø-Bruvoll jan@frydenbo-bruvoll.com
Wed Mar 24 15:19:00 GMT 2010

On 24/03/2010 14:52, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> You don't have 1.7.2 installed.
> Or, you don't *use* 1.7.2.  The above shows clearly that there's
> still a 1.7.1 running under the hood.  You have to find out, why.
> Is there an old process still running on the machine?  Do you have
> another place with a 1.7.1 (or even an older 1.7.0-xx) install?

You're so right. This was a clean install - cleared out absolutely
everything to do with Cygwin on the machine, checked with Process
Explorer for any processes hanging around, booted the machine and even
downloaded setup.exe once more, even if I did that just a couple of days
ago. Seems the mirror I used (mirrorservice.org) hadn't caught up with
the updates - using kernel.org I could see the correct cygwin package
fly past as it was downloading.

Now I get what you indicated:

Wed Mar 24 15:01:36 jan@aeolus:~
$ ls -ld /cygdrive/
dr-xr-xr-x 5 jan Users 0 2006-12-01 00:00 /cygdrive/

and

Wed Mar 24 15:01:40 jan@aeolus:~
$ getfacl.exe /cygdrive/
# file: /cygdrive/
# owner: jan
# group: Users
user::r-x
group::r-x
other:r-x
mask:rwx

And lo and behold - my backup is running!

Thanks a million for your detailed, accurate and prompt help!

Best regards
Jan