inconsistent slowness listing C:

compraxis william.c.brennan@lmco.com
Wed Mar 24 17:57:00 GMT 2010

Adam Mlodzinski wrote:

>> From: Adam Mlodzinski
>>
>> The problem is that some commands sometimes take a very long time to
>> complete.
>
> I found the problem. It was a mapped drive which is either responding very
> slowly, or whose target share has disappeared. Clicking on the drive in
> Windows Explorer resulted in a long delay. After (Not Responding) for
> several minutes, I killed explorer. After restarting explorer and
> un-mapping the broken drive letter, 'ls /cygdrive/c' works without delay
> again.

Adam, thanks so much for taking the time to post your solution.  I was
struggling with this problem for several hours before finding your fix.
There must have been some change to cygwin in the last year, because my
previous version of cygwin did not manifest this problem, and other cygwin
users in my office (using older versions) who I know also have some badly
mapped network drives are not experiencing any slowness.

-- Bill