Setup.ini file for Silent Install

Fri Mar 26 20:24:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:25:59AM +0100, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:39:22PM +0100, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
>>I can't stand seeing this question come up every week again... Yes, this is
>>definitely possible, but due to Cygwin's completely crappy installer
>>(setup.exe) it's a real pain in the ass.
>
>Is there eventually a possibility of someone explaining to me why Jonathan
>used my incredibly complex and hard to maintain method rather than
>following Daves eloquent advice?!?

I could only find one message from Jonathan in the archives and that is
the initial query.  So, it is not in evidence that he is using your
complicated method.

>Although it's so funny that my message cam *after* somebody telling him how
>to do this with setup.exe?!?
>
>Never the less:
>- Dave, thank so much you for posting setup.exe's command line switches.
>That was probably the 1st thing Jonathan did.
>- Christopher, thank you so much for telling the world how dumb everybody
>is, that doens't do something your way.

You replied to a request for information implying that a question which
comes up every week goes unanswered and then referred to setup.exe as
"Cygwin's completely crappy installer".  Given that, you were publicly
criticizing the cygwin community, it seems rather naive of you not to
expect some sort of response.  And, given that we all know how very mean
this mailing list is, this response:

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 08:46:28AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Funny how your email comes *after* someone telling the OP how to do this
>with setup.exe.

seems pretty mild to me, especially when it is a response to someone
who chose to use such critical language to begin with.

>Guys: If you have a cooler/simpler/better to maintain way to do a
>completely unattended installation of Cygwin: Great...I'd love to
>applaud it.

The cooler/simpler/better way was already demonstrated.  If this isn't
adequate then we'd love to see patches to setup.exe to improve it rather
than promoting complicated cookbook approaches.

>Please let the world take part --- or keep quiet.

Hmm.  That seems like a rather contradictory sentence.  Lucky we can all
ignore it.

cgf