How to uninstall Cygwin/X (only)

Sun May 2 01:14:00 GMT 2010

On 5/1/2010 2:56 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Dave Korn!
>
>>> But the thing is, I'm not sure that just adding a drop-down is a useful
>>> thing to do.
>
>> Well, I am.  The problem described by the title of the this thread is that
>> you can't uninstall a bunch of stuff easily, because as you click your way
>> through the spinner you hit various versions on the way to "uninstall"
>> that cause dependencies to be selected.  If you can go directly to
>> "uninstall" without cycling through all the intermediate settings, the
>> problem is trivially solved.
>
> I'm a bit late to the discussion... My problem is exactly as of the OP, I
> can't uninstall X components, they keep eachother enabled.

Yep, I think it's clear from all the previous discussion that this is a
problem.

> I just have to ask, why don't take already researched and well-working
> deb/rpm approach? Could as well steal code from SynAptic (f.e.) for the most
> part.

Probably not surprisingly (right?), this was an option that was discussed
back even before there was a 'setup.exe'.  And it comes up over and over
again in discussions about 'setup.exe' and its functionality.  If you want
the details, I suggest you review the email archives for them.  Suffice it
to say, all these existing tools referenced are Linux/Unix-based.  The port
to Windows would be significant and the short-cut would be to use Cygwin.
Chicken, meet egg.  But in the end the biggest problem is not a shortage of
ideas, alternatives, or talking points but rather resource to do it.  Just
about any possible option you can think of (and probably some you wouldn't
think of) could be made to work.  But there's very little resource available
to do much more than inch 'setup.exe' along.  Dave and some others have
made great strides in this direction (and perhaps more than just inching
here and there too :-) ).  But we have to acknowledge the reality of the
situation - there are very few new ideas out there for what to do with
'setup.exe', lots of willingness to talk about them, and not much drive
to coalesce a team spearhead new 'setup.exe' development.  Dave and others
do great work but they aren't only 'setup.exe' maintainers so there's lots
of other pulls on their time.

> But at least right-click would be nice to have, with a short textual
> explanation telling user to "Right-click a node to choose action on a
> package/group".

I'm sure Dave appreciates your approval for this.  ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746