How to uninstall Cygwin/X (only)

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@freemail.ru
Mon May 3 00:05:00 GMT 2010

Greetings, Larry Hall (Cygwin)!

>> I'm a bit late to the discussion... My problem is exactly as of the OP, I
>> can't uninstall X components, they keep eachother enabled.

> Yep, I think it's clear from all the previous discussion that this is a
> problem.

Indeed it was. :)

>> I just have to ask, why don't take already researched and well-working
>> deb/rpm approach? Could as well steal code from SynAptic (f.e.) for the most
>> part.

[skip]
> Suffice it to say, all these existing tools referenced are Linux/Unix-based.
> The port to Windows would be significant and the short-cut would be to use Cygwin.
> Chicken, meet egg.
Well, I specifically mentioned "approach", as you don't necessarily need the
exact copy of the tools. But... well, the "setup.exe" has it all up and
working much the same way, with a few exceptions, where it won't properly
disable dependent packages, when you tell it to uninstall one you don't need.

> But in the end the biggest problem is not a shortage of ideas, alternatives,
> or talking points but rather resource to do it.

That's pretty much how it is in general... Wish all our ideas would met the
power to implement them.

>> But at least right-click would be nice to have, with a short textual
>> explanation telling user to "Right-click a node to choose action on a
>> package/group".

> I'm sure Dave appreciates your approval for this.  ;-)

That wasn't "approval", but rather a suggestion to solve the "I don't know
what to do" issue for new users.
I mean, it must be clear, what to do, from the first look at interface.
If it isn't, and there's not any direction, you either close program and
forget it, or go 'round and ask for help.

*sigh* And I had a whole day dealing with such interface, not only unclear,
but lack of any explanation and behave highly suspicious in general, showing
controversial labels in different places.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...