Resizing a terminal window

J. David Boyd david@adboyd.com
Wed May 5 15:35:00 GMT 2010

Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> writes:

> J. David Boyd wrote:
>> I don't think it is a Cygwin issue at all.  And, I'm certain it is a
>> remote server problem, as it works on many boxes.
>>
>> I was just looking for some help and ideas, and the Cygwin list seemed a
>> good place to start since I use Cygwin.
>
> Right. This list is all about the misery of using Cygwin though.
>
>>  I re-discovered the
>> shopt parameter of checkwinsize, which is what controls Bash monitoring
>> the window size from my prior message.
>
> Bash also sets LINES and COLUMNS when it receives a SIGWINCH ("window
> change") signal, apparently independent of 'checkwinsize'. Only the
> foreground process gets that signal though. So without 'checkwinsize',
> the setting of those variables depends on whether bash was in the
> foreground when the terminal was resized.
>
> Andy

It is, as I am clicking the window I want to resize, and using the mouse to
drag the bottom right corner to the dimensions that I want.

SSHing in to my Mandriva box, it works perfectly.

SSHing in to my SUSE Linux box, I have to do an "eval `resize`".

SSHing in to my Ubuntu 9.10 box, it works perfectly.

Something must be broken in SUSE Linux....

Dave