Cygwin make target is never determined up to date

Thu May 6 00:10:00 GMT 2010

On 06/05/2010 00:46, MichaelKim wrote:
> At the moment I have Win7 with version 1.7.5. Most of the time the timestamps
> of dir and inside file are exactly same.

  Ah.  The fact that the timestamps *look* the same when shown in the output
of a "dir" or "ls" command doesn't mean they're actually the same when
compared to the nearest 100ns, which is the accuracy of the underlying NTFS
file timestamps.

> Have WinXP with version 1.5.19 where the timestamps are _always_ the same.
> The one at home Win7, which is _always_ dir has newer timestamp I believe
> again 1.7.5, same as the one I mentioned above.

  I think that's probably the cause of the difference.  I haven't
double-checked in the archives, but I'm reasonably sure that's it: old 1.5
never used to update the directory timestamps - as is actually required by the
POSIX spec, so 1.7 is doing the right thing, even though it's in some ways
less convenient!

    cheers,
      DaveK