Error building PowerPC Toolchain with Crosstool-NG in Cygwin

Jeff Gilton jgilton@cinci.rr.com
Sun May 9 00:31:00 GMT 2010

I am trying to build a PowerPC toolchain with Crosstool-NG version 1.7.0.
It gets most of the way through then fails installing the final C compiler
in CT_DoExecLog.  It looks like it's trying to build in the Java support so
I disable Java and it gets farther.  Then it fails installing DUMA so I
disable that.  Then it fails building ncurses but I could find no way to
disable that.

I was able to successfully build the toolchain on Linux but I need a version
that will run in Windows.  I have tried to build it in Cygwin on Windows 7,
Windows 7 in XP compatibility mode, and Windows XP.  In all cases, I have
the latest version of Cygwin.

I am not quite sure how to troubleshoot this.  Right now, I've modified
crosstool-NG-sh to run bash in verbose mode to see if it can tell me where
the build is really failing.  I know it's not an error in CT_DoExecLog
itself because that is used extensively and the build gets over 3/4 of the
way through.

Any pointers on how to troubleshoot this will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Gilton
jgilton@cinci.rr.com