changing the VM size in cygwin.

kulalking sathish.kulal@gmail.com
Mon May 10 13:41:00 GMT 2010

Hi All,

We are running a server on cygwin (on windows 7 , 64 bit , 6 GB RAM ), it
used to run fine with Linux environment.

It is crashing on cygwin when client access the huge memory. We found on
debugging that huge memory allocation causing the crash: _buf = new
char[array_wid]  where  array_wid is 1GB. So it is finding difficult to get
huge continues memory in cygwin.

We tried changing the heap memory using regtool command,
regtool -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 4096
regtool -i set /HKCU/Software/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 4096

we got above information from :
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
After that we tried to get the memory allocation limit, code is given in the
same link.
We are getting only 1596 MB.

Windows machine having more VM size, around 6GB we can see that in process
explorer, but cygwin is not transferring that to environment.

looking for the help for increase the VM, or any solution/suggestion ?

And also we also tried Rebuilding the our application with high stack size,
-Wl,--stack,8388608 , didn’t give any hope :(

We also tried with ulimit –v  option , and we are not able to change the vm
size , it says 2 GB is the MAX!