Cygwin visual brand

Andrew Schulman schulman.andrew@epamail.epa.gov
Mon May 10 14:09:00 GMT 2010

> I've used Cygwin on and off for a few years now, and today while I was
> on the site I thought how much a good, recognisable logo and graphic
> design could do for Cygwin exposure. For one, more users also mean
> more potential contributors, to the project itself and to compatible
> software alike (hopefully swaying some devs towards native linux +
> cygwin instead of native win + wine). In addition, concise design
> helps first time users find answers to their most troubling questions
> faster and with less help, reducing support load.
>
> I'm a graphic and web designer in training and want to support the
> open source movement in a way I know can make a difference (my
> programming days in BASIC and Delphi are what seems a lifetime away).
> I don't mind my designs being under a GPL license either.
>
> Any thoughts from the community are greatly appreciated, although I
> will have to work with the core maintainers to decide on what needs
> doing and how.

There have been some proposals about this recently:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/113958
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/116969

I thought the second looked pretty promising.

I'm not sure exactly what the procedure would be for settling on a new site
design, but I guess it would come down to convincing Christopher and
Corinna, with input from the community, that the new design is an
improvement.  I'd like to hear their opinions, but my guess is that a new
design that's simple, standards-compliant, attractive, and keeps something
close to the current logo would have a good chance of being accepted.

My view is that the site is overdue for a redesign, and we should take up
one of the generous offers to help develop it.  As the maintainer of the
gold stars page, I can tell you that it's a foul mess.  That's a separate
problem from the overall site design, but it would help me to take it on if
I knew that we had a new CSS-driven site design coming online.

Andrew.