Cygwin visual brand

mike marchywka marchywka@gmail.com
Thu May 13 13:15:00 GMT 2010

On 5/13/10, Brent Kerr wrote:
>> Could Christopher and/or Corinna please weigh in on this?  There seem to
>> be
>> a lot of ideas and energy behind this project, but I don't think the
>> discussion can go much further until we hear from them.
>>
>> Is either of you interested in having a redesign of cygwin.com?  What
>> would
>> be your criteria for an acceptable redesign?
>
> I agree, it's important to hear from the decision makers on all this,
> and not just regarding website design, but also requirements/concerns
> relating to ease of implementation, updating and so on - this all
> affects the proposal.
>
> Meanwhile, I read back through the mailing list and spotted a comment
> by Corinna asking for "a little more green" [1], so I've added a
> style-changer tool (for color and font) to my proposal at
> http://cygwin.codecamel.com. It's not a permanent feature, just a
> dinky tool to compare themes. Feel free to suggest colors/fonts.

I haven't looked at this but what is a style changer tool ( would it
be obvious if I looked? Just change style sheets or something). My
point here is not to ask random
questions about tangential topics but this highlights
an important area of command line tools for graphical
desgin needs. Could you build all the artwork and generate all the html
from command
line scripts and give these scripts various parameters so that variations
could beconsistently generated using general rules? One objective
beyond making cool pictures may be to see how well you can automate
and design without a GUI program. I have nothing against pointing
but it is easier to describe typed chars than mouse moves to relate
your wisdom to others.
As far as that goes, if you could reduce an arbitrary image to ASCII
art algorithmically  to produce things beyond hippos, "fingers" and
homer simpsons, that may be an interesting study in image compression,
perception and maybe searching/indexing.

This isn't just academic or banter or whining about saving a few bytes
when everyone knows the speed of light is increasing each day,
but lets say you wanted to generate web pages for wireless, unusual
locales,  or other
devics that have some fixed relation to your main pages and don't want
to redesign them etc.

Using cygwin to design and generate the site would be a good result in itself :)

" No mice were killed in the construction of this site" LOL.