Syntax highlighting not working in vim73

Wed Nov 10 02:57:00 GMT 2010

On 11/9/2010 7:14 PM, Harrington, John wrote:
> Thank you very much, Larry.  This worked, though perhaps not for the reason
> you expected.  Excuse the long description that follows, but the fix raised
> some issues that I thought I should report.

.
.
.

> 7.3.3 is the one I thought I installed.  I don't recall installing a separate
> utility "vim 7.1", but I guess I must have.  In any case, I'm very satisfied
> that "vi" is now showing syntax.  It puzzles me a bit that the specific
> command "vim" still does not work with syntax, but since I never type "vim"
> (I could easily reverse the above alias, I suppose), I am not concerned.

This is indeed wrong.  All your vim-related executables should be symbolic
links to more links under '/etc/alternatives'.  See
"/etc/postinstall/vim.sh.*" for details of what should be linked where.
Your '/usr/bin/vim' is apparently the actual executable from a previous
version (7.1).  If nothing else, I'd recommend you remove '/usr/bin/vim.exe'
to avoid future confusion/problems.