DWORD "heap_chunk_in_mb" and CYGWIN_NT-5.2-WOW64

Ulf-Dietrich Braumann braumann@uni-leipzig.de
Wed Nov 10 11:59:00 GMT 2010

Hi,

it is maybe no surprise that the advice for changing cygwin's maximum
memory given under http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
does not work under Windows Server 2003 64bit, i.e. the max_memory.c check
program always returns 1536MB available memory, no matter if I place the
DWORD "heap_chunk_in_mb" (I want 2048MB) in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry branch. And yes, I always have restarted the
whole server to give cygwin a chance to read the variable.

During my search I have found some Cygwin entries in a branch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cygwin, so I have tried to place
the "heap_chunk_in_mb" there, but got no effect.

Does anybody know where to correctly place the DWORD "heap_chunk_in_mb" on
a Windows Server 2003 64bit running CYGWIN_NT-5.2-WOW64?

Thanks a lot - Ulf-Dietrich