Installing new versions of vim doesn't uninstall old versions

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:38:00 GMT 2010

On 11 November 2010 18:45, René Berber wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 12:21 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2010 1:07 PM, Harrington, John wrote:
>>> I recently had a problem with vim that was the result of my unwittingly
>>> having two previous versions of vim in my /usr/bin.  Is it normal for the
>>> cygwin installer not to delete or clobber the previous versions?  I'm not
>>> sure what I did wrong, if anything, in updating my cygwin installation.
>>
>> Probably just a local glitch.  We haven't seen other reports of this,
>> though
>> that could just mean that no one else has noticed.
>
> Actually there are many reports, its not just vim, similar reports have
> been made about ssh, and checking for un-installed updates showed other
> cases.
>
> setup.exe just leaves <you-name-it>.exe.new (or .dll.new) and the change
> never happens.
>
> It may have been one of the old versions of setup

Yep, bugs in this area were quashed in January and April, but
unfortunately setup.exe bugs can have quite an afterlife, e.g. due to
people ignoring the warnings about a newer setup.exe being available
or installing from a local mirror. And of course the .new files, once
they're there, aren't going to go away.

Andy