Cygwin and AVG

Gary cygwin@garydjones.name
Tue Nov 16 13:44:00 GMT 2010

David Arnstein wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 06:21:51PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>> After the update from AVG9 Free to AVG 2011 Free, I notice a great
> slow
>> down using Cygwin.

I found AVG quite good some years ago. Then they released 8.something (I
think) which was... not pleasant. I uninstalled.

Viruses eat your processor cycles and make your machine
unusable. Anti-virus software... Umm... Well... Err... Is there a
difference?

> I am using the paid version of AVG 2011 and Cygwin is still working for
> me.  However, I disable the AVG feature "Resident Shield," and I have
> done so for years.

The problem with this situation is using cygwin + (say) an anti-virus on
the BLODA in a corporate environment. Even if you have admin rights on
the machine (unlikely, even for devs, these days), you might still not
be able to change the AV settings to disable the resident shield part or
wahtever causes the problems. Not saying it's a cygwin problem at all,
btw, far from it (see second para).