control key stops working

Jay Foad jay.foad@gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 15:16:00 GMT 2010

Hi,

I'm using emacs in console mode in Cygwin 1.7 on Windows 7 Ultimate.
Every so often I do something, or something happens, that stop my
Control key from working the way I expect. Even if I exit emacs, the
Control key is still behaving strangely at my bash prompt. The only
way I've found to fix it is to close the Cygwin window and start a new
one.

Normal behaviour: Ctrl-A goes to start of line, Ctrl-E goes to end of line, etc.

Weird behaviour: Ctrl-A, Ctrl-B, Ctrl-D, Ctrl-E and loads of others
just print a single question-mark. Ctrl-C seems to work normally. Some
other Ctrl-letter combinations print other funny characters.

Any idea what's going on, what causes it, and/or how I can fix it?
(Google didn't help me, but then I wasn't really sure what to Google
for.)

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 Jay-Foad-W7 1.7.7(0.230/5/3) 2010-08-31 09:58 i686 Cygwin

Thanks,
Jay.