control key stops working

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Nov 18 15:30:00 GMT 2010

On 11/18/2010 10:16 AM, Jay Foad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using emacs in console mode in Cygwin 1.7 on Windows 7 Ultimate.
> Every so often I do something, or something happens, that stop my
> Control key from working the way I expect. Even if I exit emacs, the
> Control key is still behaving strangely at my bash prompt. The only
> way I've found to fix it is to close the Cygwin window and start a new
> one.

What do you mean by "console mode"?  Do you mean you're working in the
Cygwin console?  If so, are you following the suggestions made in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README?  Have you tried starting emacs with
'emacs -Q' to rule out problems with your initialization files?
Finally, please follow the problem-reporting guidelines at

   http://cygwin.com/problems.html

> Normal behaviour: Ctrl-A goes to start of line, Ctrl-E goes to end of line, etc.
>
> Weird behaviour: Ctrl-A, Ctrl-B, Ctrl-D, Ctrl-E and loads of others
> just print a single question-mark. Ctrl-C seems to work normally. Some
> other Ctrl-letter combinations print other funny characters.

Ken