find -execdir executes in wrong dir

Dirk Fassbender dirk.fassbender@arcor.de
Mon Nov 22 12:13:00 GMT 2010

Am 22.11.2010 12:19, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Nov 21 05:02, pdanford wrote:
>> I just upgraded to version 1.7.7-1 and the following find command is
>> broken (which used to work correctly in a recent 1.7x version):
>>
>> C:\cygwin\bin\find . -name file.txt -type f -execdir pwd ';'
>>
>> Apparently, if there are say 10 matching file.txt files, -execdir
>> executes the command in the first dir over and over. However, the
>> following use of find works correctly:
>>
>> C:\cygwin\bin\find . -name file.txt -type f -execdir pwd '{}' +
> It appears that this is a problem in find 3.5.9.
>
> I can reproduce this problem, even under Cygwin 1.7.5, and I examined
> the strace output.  What happens is that find forks for each call to
> pwd.  The forked find then calls fchdir before calling exec("pwd").
>
> And here's the problem.  Each single fchdir is called with the exact
> same directory descriptor.  There is an open file descriptor (fd 7)
> which holds a handle to the *correct* directory, but the forked find
> calls fchdir(4), which is a file descriptor holding the first directory
> containing the file.
>
> This does not occur when using find 3.5.8.
>
> Eric?  Would you mind to have a look?
>

> Thanks,
> Corinna

The behaviour of find -execdir is documented in the info pages.
 From the info page:

  -- Action: -execdir command ;
      Execute COMMAND; true if zero status is returned.  `find' takes
      all arguments after `-execdir' to be part of the command until an
      argument consisting of `;' is reached.  It replaces the string
      `{}' by the current file name being processed everywhere it occurs
      in the command.  Both of these constructions need to be escaped
      (with a `\') or quoted to protect them from expansion by the
      shell.  The command is executed in the directory in which `find'
      was run.

So
     C:\cygwin\bin\find . -name file.txt -type f -execdir pwd ';'
execute the "pwd" in the current directory and do not change directories.

Regards
Dirk