use the list of files stored in a text file and process it

SJ Wright sjwright68@charter.net
Fri Oct 1 09:26:00 GMT 2010

Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:37 PM, SJ Wright  wrote:
>
>> I know one of the trip-ups I often have if I spend any time away from a
>> L/Unix environment has to do with the "mv" command: I often forget that it
>> prefers absolute paths from root folders (or in the case of Cygwin, virtual
>> ones taken as real) or dot-dot-slash relative path syntax to just
>> "/god-directory/" or what-have-you. Many other commands, particularly ls and
>> ln -s, are likewise "particular about their paths."
>>

> (general "you" meant below)
> Unix commands are not "particular about their paths". They just trust
> you to give the correct file names. If the file name does not begin
> with a slash, it is relative to the current directory. That may or may
> not be what you intended. Using absolute paths ensures that the
> meaning of a filename is not influenced by the current directory; but
> using relative paths is often shorter. If you have trouble remembering
> what the current directory is, try setting the prompt to always print
> the current directory, like this:
>
>  PS1='\[\e]0;\w\a\]\n\[\e[32m\]\u@\h \[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\t \$ '

Careless of me to promulgate a baseless assertion. Cygwin and Unix are
simply tools: they can do no more, and be credited or blamed with no
more, than their makers or users direct them or design them to do.

SJ Wright