How to evaluate cygwin state after interrupted update - and how to recover/resume?

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic@gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 01:04:00 GMT 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 10/2/2010 6:03 PM, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I was installing a new package (aspell) and the latest updates.  After
>> the file download, the obsolete packages were removed.  Then the
>> installation step started.  During iirc aspell's installation, I got
>> an error prompt from rapapp.exe (c++ error), after which the
>> installation procedure stalled.  I canceled the installation (cancel)
>> button after waiting 10-15 minutes.
>>
>> How can I evaluate cygwin's state, and the state of the updates.  How
>> do I recover/resume the update?
>
> Rerun 'setup.exe'.  You'll have to re-select the packages you want to
> install though.  Sounds like you want to uninstall BlackICE for the
> duration of the install though so that it doesn't get in the way.

Thanks Larry,

but what about the packages that were deleted because they were being
updated to the newest version?

In other words,
 - I selected aspell for install
 - A bunch of other packages were auto-selected for updates.
 - All packages were downloaded

So, after the downloads
 - the obsolete packages were removed
 - aspell install started
 - ... and the crash happened.

I have not executed setup yet because I did not want to mess up any
history files
(if there are any - I did not see anything relevant in /var/logs)

Mirko