trouble posting to cygwin-apps

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman@kitware.com
Thu Oct 7 12:54:00 GMT 2010

On 10/7/2010 2:20 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 18:13 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> Really this belongs on the CMake dev list.
>
> In so much as this affects a Cygwin packages, it is perfectly on topic
> here.
>
>> The new release I just posted is not really a new release of CMake, but
>> it is a new release for cygwin.  The current cmake that comes with
>> cygwin is 2.6.4 (very old).  The one I just uploaded was 2.8.2 (still
>> old but much newer.)  It has no changes at all.
>
> How exactly is 2.8.2 old when it is the latest official release?
>
>> We are currently working on 2.8.3, it has some of the patches you want,
>> but not all.  However, please work with me on the cmake dev list to come
>> up with a solution that won't break all of the projects I support (VTK,
>> ITK, and several others).
>
> That may be the long term solution, but right now we need a working
> cmake, and your 2.8.2-1 isn't it.  You want WIN32 defined on Cygwin, but
> *we* do not.  As so far as the Cygwin distribution is concerned,
> shouldn't the views of those who make the distribution take priority?
>
>> I do not want to create a cygwin release that does not match the
>> upstream CMake.
>
> Unfortunately we need you to do exactly that until upstream has been
> fixed.

So, I thought that I was the cmake maintainer for cygwin?  So, really I
don't "need" to do anything.  I really don't want two version out there.
  If someone builds CMake from source and it behaves totally different
than the one that comes with cygwin, that IMO is a very bad thing, and
will cause lots of confusion.  And seriously we are working on exactly
what you want, and CMake has been like this for 10 years now, I would
think you could be a bit more patient and give me some more time to come
up with the correct fix.

-Bill