How to know if the x11 display uses 24-bit RGB color or instead uses a color palette with a fixed number of colors

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Mon Oct 11 13:07:00 GMT 2010

  Am 11.10.2010 09:41, schrieb Csaba Raduly:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Thomas Wolff  wrote:
>>   Am 08.10.2010 04:50, schrieb Mark Geisert:
>>> For a while now the X components have been unbundled and can be installed
>>> separately, mostly.
>> I wonder why they were unbundled. It has been suggested here before that it
>> would be useful to bundle the typical tiny X tools with the default X
>> installation, just to avoid such trouble.
> Because not everybody has the same needs. Before the unbundling, I had
> to install the entirety of X just to be able to run makedepend;
> several megabytes of unused stuff just for a single, 23k executable.
I understand. But here we speak of the opposite situation. A number of
tools (10, 20?) most of which are only a few K. By installing ~1MB total
many users looking for standard tools would not have to search or ask.
Thomas